As part of our overall compensation package, we offer work/life flexibility, comprehensive health benefits, unlimited time off, and generous retirement contributions designed to support you and your family.
For employees based in the United States, core benefits include:
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental for employees, spouses / domestic partners, and dependent children. 100% of monthly premiums are paid by the foundation.
- Medical benefits include coverage for infertility treatments.
- Vision benefits include coverage for corrective eye surgery.
- Onsite medical clinic for primary care (Seattle campus).
The Transparency in Coverage Final Rules require group health plans to disclose on a public website information regarding in-network provider rates and historical out-of-network allowed amounts and billed charges for covered items and services in two separate machine-readable files (MRFs). The MRFs for the benefit package options under the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Welfare Benefits Plan* are linked here.
*The plan reserves the right to change or terminate benefits or the plan(s) at any time.
- Foundation-paid retirement contribution of 15% of an employee’s salary (up to the IRS maximum), which is immediately vested.
- Employees can also contribute to a 403(b) retirement account (up to the IRS maximum).
- Foundation-paid life insurance equal to four times an employee's annual salary.
- Unlimited paid time off, which allows employees to take the time they need for vacation or illness so they can return to work able to contribute fully to our mission.
- End-of-year office closure. The foundation also enjoys a paid holiday during the last two weeks of December. The China regional office enjoys their holiday in late January.
- On-site fitness center on the Seattle campus, with live and virtual fitness classes and personal training 100% paid by the foundation.
- Additional lifestyle benefits include commuter incentives; identity theft protection; various employee discounts; and emergency assistance during business travel.
- Voluntary insurance benefits - optional life insurance and AD&D insurance, prepaid legal insurance, long-term care insurance, pet insurance, and discounted auto and home insurance.
- Foundation-paid leave for disability, caregiver leave, and parental bonding leave.
- Foundation reimbursement for eligible adoption and surrogacy fees, up to $20,000 each.
- At-home backup care for children, employees, and adults/elders.
- Support for families with children with learning, social, or behavior challenges as well as developmental disabilities.
Employees based in our non-U.S. locations
Employees based in our non-U.S. locations also receive competitive salaries and generous benefits packages that reflect local pay and benefit practices and are aligned with the offerings listed above.
More about the foundation
Learn about the origins of the foundation and the values that drive our work.
Learn how our foundation fits among the many institutions working to improve the world.
Learn about where we work around the globe and the programs we’ve created to address urgent issues in global health, global development, and education.
Read the latest stories, research, and news from across the foundation and subscribe to our weekly newsletter, The Optimist.